WSU Cougar Head Logo Washington State University

Future Residency

If you wish to receive resident tuition, this page lists the steps you need to take 12 months prior to applying for residency for tuition purposes. Washington law is very specific regarding the requirements for receiving resident tuition, especially when a student has moved to the state for the purpose of attending college.

You will apply for residency no earlier than 60 days before the start of the term. Current deadlines are on the homepage.

Financially Dependent or Independent?

Veterinary Medicine applicants

The application process

Independent Students: Establish a Domicile in WA

Students who do not have a parent, step-parent, or legal guardian living in Washington must apply as financially independent and need to establish a domicile in Washington.

Step 1: Move to Washington

Step 2: Take action to establish a domicile in Washington

Step 3: Establish Financial Independence

Actions you can take during a pandemic



Did I get Residency?

Here's a link to a page that shows you how to read your tuition bill in myWSU. Please note that it take several days for your tuition bill to update after a residency change.


Residency applications are processed by several units at WSU. This is a list of which unit will process each type of application. Contact Information.

Office of the Registrar, Pullman

  • Undergraduate Students
  • Professional Students
  • Residency Affidavits
  • American Indian residency
  • Military residency - Global, Pullman, Spokane, and Everett students

Graduate School, Pullman

  • Graduate Students

Office of the Registrar, Vancouver or Tri-Cities

  • Border Bill
  • Military Residency, Vancouver or Tri-Cities students


Future Residency
Residency for Tuition