Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Gaining residency as military or civil service personnel

Please read this information and instructions in their entirety.  Failure to submit appropriate documentation will significantly delay any decisions regarding your residency or may result in denial of residency.

Residency questionnaire is found at the bottom of this page.


If you are active-duty military or the dependent of an active military member stationed in the state of Washington, please contact:

Veterans Affairs Office
Holland Library, Room 120BA
Washington State University
Pullman, WA  99164-1035



If you are a dependent of an active-duty military, or civil servant, who claims Washington as his/her residence, but who is stationed outside of the State of Washington, please submit the completed residency questionnaire.  In addition, your parent or guardian must complete Section 3 of the questionnaire and provide:

  • Evidence he/she is a member of the military
  • Evidence of his/her Home of Record
  • Evidence of ties maintained to the State of Washington (voter registration, driver’s license, vehicle registration) REQUIRED
  • A federal IRS tax transcript of your parent(s)/legal guardian(s) for the most recent tax year (must include information on dependents).  A tax transcript can be ordered here.


State of Washington Residency Questionnaire
(this is a writable PDF, however you must print & sign)